Justyna Fruzińska holds an MA in American Literature and a PhD in Cultural Studies from the University of Lodz, Poland, where she holds the position of Assistant professor and teaches American literature, culture and history. Her publications include Emerson Goes to the Movies: Individualism in Walt Disney Company’s Post-1989 Animated Films (2014) as well as numerous articles on American popular culture, Transcendentalism, and Polish poetry. She is a graduate of the Institute of Jewish Studies Paideia in Stockholm as well as a member of the Association for Cultural Studies and Polish Association for American Studies. Her current research interests center around European 19th-century travel writing about America. She is also a published poet and translator working in Polish, English, and Hebrew.
Thesis/dissertation supervision (topics)
Dr. Fruzińska supervises MA and BA theses dealing with popular culture, American literature, and American culture. Two of her MA students (mgr Piotr Płomiński and mgr Jan Moryń) received honorary mentions in the Polish Association for American Studies’ competition for the Best American Studies Master’s Thesis written at a Polish university.
Other (sholarships, academic collaboration)
Academic Collaboration with the American Studies Center, University of Warsaw (2013-2017). Courses taught:
- Academic Writing
- American Literature
- American Values in Disney Animated Films
Academic Visits and Guest Lectures
- 2019 – “So far and yet so close: Depiction of otherness in Disney animated films” – lecture at the University of Warsaw
- 2018 – Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Niemcy (Erasmus visiting lecturer)
- 2018 – Universiteit Antwerpen, Belgium (Erasmus visiting lecturer)
- 2016 – “Faces of Presidential Campaigns. History of American Electoral Posters”, lecture delivered at J. Kasprowicz high school, Kutno, Poland
- 2016 – Corbridge Trust scholarship, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2015 – research grant at the John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies, Freie Universität, Berlin
• 2015 – Universita degli Studi di Catania, Italy (Erasmus visiting lecturer)