Main academic interests: contemporary British and Irish poetry, British culture and literary translation.
Graduated in English and philosophy at the University of Łódź. In 1984-85 he studied in Worcester College, Oxford, in 2015 received professorship. His main interests include contemporary British and Irish poetry (Philip Larkin, Seamus Heaney, Derek Mahon), contemporary culture (especially the counterculture of the 1960’s), ekphrasis, and literary translation. He has lectured at the universities in Oxford, Cambridge, London, Sheffield, York, Preston, Coleraine, Beflast, Dublin, Prague, Giessen, Magdeburg and at Harvard. He has supervised ten doctoral theses. His publications include many articles in Polish and international journals, fourteen critical books and twelve volumes of poems. He has translated works by James Joyce, Philip Roth, Raymond Carver, John Banville, Denise Riley, Ursula Le Guin and many others. He has also edited and translated three anthologies: “Six Irish Women Poets”, “Women Poets of the Islands” (with Magda Heydel), and “One Hundred Poems of the English Language”.
In the Shadow of Foreign Tongues. Essays on Irish Poets. WUŁ, Łódź 2014.
Ekphrasis in the Poetry of Derek Mahon. NWP, Piotrków Trybunalski 2013.
The Bottomless Centre: The Uses of History in the Poetry of Seamus Heaney. WUŁ, Łódź 2002.
Journal articles and chapters in monographs:
“Ian Hamilton Finlay and the Insufficiency of Syntax,” [in:] Polish Scholars on Scottish Writers. An Interpretative Collage. Edited by Aniela Korzeniowska and Izabela Szymańska. Semper, Warszawa 2018, pp. 89-97.
“Translating Words, Appropriating Images. On the Works of Zbigniew Libera and Darek Foks,” [in:] Interpreting Authenticity. Translation and Its Others. Edited by Agnieszka Pantuchowicz and Anna Warso. Peter Lang, Berlin 2017, pp. 169-182.
“Green Leaves and Little Boats: Two Female Speakers in the Poetry of Eilean Ni Chuilleanain and Nuala Ni Dhomhnaill,” [in:] Landscapes of Irish and Greek Poets. Edited by Joanna Kruczkowska. Peter Lang, Berlin 2018, pp. 117-128.
“From Miłosz to Kochanowski. The Uses of Polish Poetry in Seamus Heaney’s Work,” Journal of European Studies, vol. 46, no. 1, March 2016, pp. 24-36.
“Brodsky Translating Brodsky. Poetry in Self-Translation,” Translation Studies, vol. 9, no. 1, 2016, pp. 114-116.
“Ventriloquism in Philip Roth’s Deception and Its Polish Translation,” Partial Answers. Journal of Literature and The History of Ideas, vol. 11, no. 2, June 2013, pp. 321-331.
“The Polishing of Heaney. Seamus Heaney’s Poetry in Poland: Translations, Receptions, Impact,” [in:] Literary and Cultural Relations: Ireland, Hungary and Central and Eastern Europe. Edited by Maria Kurdi. Carysfort Press, Dublin 2009, pp. 201-216.
For a full list of publications, please see the ORCID profile.
Orcid ID: 0000-0003-2106-4030
- Polish Migrants’ Experience of Life in the UK Since 2004. School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University College, London. 17-18 April 2015, London.
- Authenticity and Imitation in Literature and Culture. Wyższa Szkoła Psychologii Społecznej. 7-9 May 2015, Warszawa.
- 2nd International Translation Conference. Women in Translation. Uniwersytet Jana Kochanowskiego w Kielcach, 14-15, October 2015, Kielce.
- Living/Writing. Inner and Outer Landscapes of Irish and Greek Poets. University of Athens. 4-5 December 2015. Athens.
- “Visions and revisions”. 23rd PASE Conference. Institute of English Studies, Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej, Lublin 7-9 April 2014.
- „Competences in Language Education”. Kompetencje interkulturowe w edukacji językowej. Federacja Rozwoju Systemu Edukacji. Warszawa 23 September2014.
- “Word & Image Crossovers”. International Conference. Institute of English Studies. Uniwersytet Kazimierza Wielkiego in Bydgoszcz, 29-30 September 2014.
- “Scotland in Europe Conference II”. Institute of English Studies, Uniwersytet Warszawski, 15-17 October 2014, Kazimierz Dolny.
- „Face to Face, Page to Page”. 22nd PASE Conference. Uniwersytet Warszawski, Warszawa 22-24 April 2013.
- „Odnalezione w tłumaczeniu”. Gdańskie Spotkania Tłumaczy Literatury, Instytut Kultury Miejskiej, Gdańsk 24-27 April 2013.
- “Poetry: Word Made Flesh, Flesh Made Word”. The Third Power of the Word Conference. International Conference organized jointly by Heythrop College and the Institute of English Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London and the Faculty of Languages of the University of Gdańsk, Gdańsk 12-14 September 2013.
- International Conference on Intersemiotic Translation. University of Łódź, Institute of English Studies. Łódź 25-27 September 2013.
- „Tadeusz Różewicz – próba rekonstrukcji. Biografia, historia, kultura”. Instytut of Polish Studies, University of Wrocław with Katedra Antropologii Literatury i Badań Kulturowych Wydziału Polonistyki UJ. Wrocław 21-23 November 2013.